This qualification specification is designed to outline all you need to know in order to offer this qualification in your Centre. If you have any further questions, please contact your HABC account manager.
The HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) has been accredited by the regulators of England and Wales (Ofqual and the Welsh Government) and is part of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
It was originally developed by LSIS, the Sector Skills Council for learning and skills improvement and is supported by industry.
Learning Aim Reference: 60116365
Guided Learning Hours (GLH):
48 GLH (min) when learning and development units are not selected 61 GLH (max) when learning and development units are selected
Credit Value: 12
Assessment Method: Portfolio of evidence
The HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) has been designed to provide an introduction to teaching for individuals who would like to work or currently work within FE Colleges, Independent Training Providers and/or Local Authorities.
It can meet the needs of a range of trainee teachers, such as:
- Individuals not currently teaching or training – achievement of the qualification does not require practice other than microteaching, unless units from the Learning and Development suite of qualifications are selected;
- Individuals currently teaching and training, including those new to the profession – although the qualification does not require practice (see explanation above), opportunities may be made available to observe and provide feedback on a trainee teacher’s practice; and
- Individuals currently working as assessors, who wish to achieve a qualification that provides an introduction to teaching.
In order to complete this qualification, learners are required to:
- Be a minimum of 19 years of age; and
- There are no formal entry requirements, however, centres are responsible for ensuring that learners can meet the necessary standards of English, Mathematics and Information
Communication Technology skills required to undertake this qualification and that this is captured and recorded from an initial assessment. The initial assessment should form part of the portfolio of evidence.
The HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) is made up of mandatory and optional units. Learners must achieve a minimum of 12 credits by achieving:
- Mandatory Group A – 3 credits must be achieved from this group;
- Optional Group B – 6 credits must be achieved from this group; and
- Optional Group C – 3 credits must be achieved from this group.
Full details relating to the Rules of Combination for this qualification can be found in Appendix 1 of this specification. All units are contained in Appendix 2.
In order to effectively deliver and assess this qualification, HABC recommends that Centre delivery is based on a ratio of 1 qualified tutor/assessor to a maximum of 12 learners.
Guidance on Delivery
The minimum guided learning hours for this qualification is 48 hours if none of the learning and development units are selected, and 61 hours if these units are selected. However this may be adjusted in accordance with learners’ needs and/or local circumstances. The delivery of this qualification will mainly consist of classroom-taught delivery, distance learning and self-study.
Guidance on Assessment
The HABC Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF) is assessed through the completion of a learner portfolio of evidence which should be assessed and internally quality assured by the Centre. This portfolio of evidence should include learner evidence that demonstrates knowledge, understanding and application of teaching practices (which can involve observational evidence from microteaching sessions).
Contact us to
discuss your training
“Fit For Sport, the UK’s leading healthy lifestyle activities provider have worked with Alan for a number of years, he has always provided a professional and personable service, but more importantly feedback from our staff following the training is always fantastic. His ability to make the courses fun, informative and engaging result in a high success rate.”
“Alan is a highly motivated, enthusiastic and professional who continues to deliver to a high standard
Operations Director, Fit For Sport